Author: Wikimedia Foundation
Date: 02/16/2016 09:34 AM
Size: Size Varies
Downloads: 8636 times
Wikipedia for Android is a free encyclopedia that contains more than 32 million articles in 280 languages, and is the most comprehensive and widely used reference work humans have ever compiled. Now you have the power of knowledge right in the palm of your hand – making whatever you need to know easily accessible no matter where you are.
Wikipedia for Android Features:
- Tabbed browsing: pressing-and-holding a link lets you open it in a new tab, allowing you to keep reading the current article without losing your place, and switch to the new tab when you’re ready.
- Link previews: Tapping on a link shows a preview of the linked article, giving you a chance to get the gist of the link without losing your place in the article you’re reading.
- Lead images: experience Wikipedia like never before with a prominent, contextually-relevant image and description at the top of articles
- Image gallery: tapping on an image shows you the image full-screen in high resolution, with options to swipe left/right for browsing additional images
- Descriptions from Wikidata: when searching, each search result now contains a quick description that helps to contextualize the result. These descriptions are also shown in other areas of the app, like Nearby
- Article suggestions: scroll to the bottom of an article to see suggestions about what you could read next
- Saved pages: save select pages for offline reading and browse them even when you don’t have a data connection
- Nearby: learn more about what’s around you by getting links to articles about things that are near your current location
- Language support: seamlessly switch to reading Wikipedia written in any language, either by changing the language of the current article, or changing your preferred search language while searching.
- Table of contents: swipe left on any article to bring up the table of contents, which lets you jump to article sections easily
- Wikipedia Zero: data charges waived for participating mobile operators