Making a presentation with PowerPoint is a relatively simple task that even the most experienced user can handle. But sometimes, when working with this program, problems may arise – for example, not everyone knows how to put their own picture on the background of a presentation or even create a template using it. Let’s tell what’s what.
The ability to change the background image allows you to design a document in a special style – thematic, personal, corporate. And this can be done in two ways, suitable for both old versions of MS PowerPoint and modern versions.
Background selection features
Before replacing the default background with your own image, choose the right illustration. When choosing, you can use the following recommendations:
- The colors of the background image or photo must match the content of the document. By using the right color scheme, you can enhance the effect of your presentation.
- The background should suit the audience. It is desirable to make the presentation design for business partners concise and restrained. And for presentation to schoolchildren – on the contrary, bright and original.
- The image should neither contrast too much nor blend in with the colors of other elements on the slide – text, hyperlinks, illustrations, or tables.
For the slides included in the presentation, it is not necessary to make a general background. However, if you choose a layout with a single background image for the entire document, the best way to set background images is by changing the template.
Method 1. Setting up a presentation template
This method, which allows you to both make a background from a picture in PowerPoint, and easily set this image in new presentations, will require a little time from the user. The result will be not just a one-time setting of a background image, but a whole template. The advantage of this method is the ability to easily change the position of parts of the slide in different layouts so that they fit better with the picture.
Novice users of the program should get acquainted with the step-by-step installation instructions:
- Select the “View” tab and groups of master modes, and then click on the slide master button.
- Right-click and select “Format Background” from the context menu.
- Set in the fill section a point opposite the item “Picture and texture”. After that, the default texture appears automatically in the picture.
- Select the “Insert” item and the way to insert the image – from a user file, from the Internet or a collection of pictures. If the illustration has already been copied, the clipboard button additionally becomes active.
- Find the image and set it as the background for the presentation, and then click on “Apply to all”.
- Save the received design option. An optional item that can be completed by saving not the presentation, but the “PowerPoint Template” (selected in the “file type”).
When choosing an image for the background from a file, you first have to save it on your computer and remember its location. By pasting a photo from the clipboard, searches can be avoided – no matter where the original picture was located, in unsaved form in a graphic editor, on the Web or on a PC.
Important:When choosing the option with a search on the Internet, you should know that before inserting the picture you cannot seriously process (except for making small changes), it will be inserted in the same form as on the site.
The source of illustrations can also be your own PowerPoint collection, in which you can find thematic, albeit fairly standard images.
If you want to remove background images from individual slides, you should select them from the left sidebar. Then you will have to go to the same menu item “Background Format” and restore the default settings – solid white fill. In the same way, you can set your own background for each slide.
Method 2. Change of design
The easiest and quickest way to make a picture the background in your presentation is to use the Design or Constructor tab (for the latest version of PowerPoint). Here you should repeat the same actions that were performed when adjusting the template;
- Open the background format tab – the transition icon is located in the upper right corner.
- Select an item to set a pattern or texture.
- Add an image from a suitable source – from a PC, from the Internet, from a collection or from the clipboard.
At the final stage, the characteristics of the added illustration are adjusted : transparency, artistic effects, saturation and sharpness. Once modified, the resulting image can be applied as a background to all slides.
The difference from the first method is the impossibility of saving the background image as a template for new documents. The background and all its changes will appear in only one presentation.
Adjusting image parameters
If the image is too bright and stands out from the background of other elements, it is advisable to process it. More precisely, change a number of settings. To do this, go to the same “Background Format” where the background image was set. Using the transparency slider, the picture can be beautifully fit into the slide – so that the information is readable, but the image still remains visible.
Several other picture settings can be changed in PowerPoint , from brightness, contrast, and sharpness to color saturation. You can go to such settings using the icons that appear on the background format tab. Here, the user has the opportunity to add artistic effects to the picture and even convert the picture to texture so that the background illustration is neatly inscribed on the slides.