Tired of long updates at the most inopportune moment? We cut out automatic updates and sleep well.
Disabling Windows 10 update has become much more difficult than in previous versions of the system: Microsoft developers are releasing new patches that prohibit leaving the OS out of date. Let’s look at several ways to disable intrusive updates.
Updates are not a whim of the OS creator. Many of them are critical to the safety and health of Windows, so after disconnecting, do not forget to update in manual mode.
The first thing to start with is completely disabling the system service and reconfiguring the rules for its autorun. To do this, follow these steps:
- Press Win + R and in the window that appears, enter the command services.msc.
- Find the list of service “Windows Update” (or Windows Update) and press it twice.
- On the “General” tab in the “Startup type” field , select “Disabled” and click the “Stop” button .
- In the “Login” tab, select “With an account” and click “Browse” .
- In the next window, click More> Search and select the Guest user from the list . Click OK .
- Remove the password for the Guest user on the Login tab and apply the changes.
What we did: completely stopped Windows Update and configured it to start in such a way that after a reboot it starts as a user without administrator rights (Guest). Even if the update service turns back on with a new patch, it won’t affect anything. Since updates to the system can only be installed on behalf of the administrator, Windows 10 can no longer download and install them – this is prohibited by the system security policy itself.
A quick overview shows that this method of disabling Windows 10 update currently works for most users – both at the local computer level and at the level of entire organizations. But do not be discouraged if the top ten continues to roll out updates. There are other effective methods.
Local Group Policy Editor
In Windows, you can get access to customizing certain functionality using various tools. Not only the service manager is able to control the launch of updates. Local Group Policy Editor is a more in-depth utility. You can use its services by doing the following:
- Press the key combination Win + R and in the window that appears, enter the command gpedit.msc .
- Next, go to: Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / .
- Double- click the Windows Update category and set the status to Disabled .
But this method will not help in every case. Due to the fact that developers are constantly coming up with new methods of intrusive automatic updates, it is worth turning off Updater wherever possible. Therefore, use all the tools described in this article.
If you are wondering: “why do some actions occur in the system on a regular basis, although I am not doing anything?”, Then, most likely, the culprit is the task scheduler. Many system processes, as well as third-party utilities, run automatically under certain conditions (they are also called triggers). For example, because of this, some programs are often launched at system startup, although everything is clean at startup. The planner is a deeper tool. It should be checked regularly. So, to disable system updates, follow these steps:
- Press the Win + R key combination and enter the taskschd.msc command .
- Go to: Task Scheduler Library \ Microsoft \ Windows \ UpdateOrchestrator .
- Disable all tasks related to updates. They are named differently in different versions of Windows. Most often it is something like Update Assistant or Update Assistant CalendarRun.
Usually, all the above manipulations are enough to forget about annoying updates. But if all else fails, you can resort to heavy artillery – third-party software. However, you should use this method only as a last resort, because it is rather difficult to return the settings to their original state. And often there are conflicts associated with other system processes.
Third party software
It is easy to find programs on the Internet that are designed to disable updates. We recommend using utilities like DWS (Destroy Windows Spying). This is a free software that does not require installation. He knows how not only to deal with updates, his functionality is quite large. For example, you can uninstall most of the unnecessary standard applications: Voice recorder, Phone companion, Film TV, and so on. Telemetry and Windows Defender processes can be disabled.
If the program does not fit, you can find an analogue in a couple of clicks on the open spaces of the ru-net. Remember to create a restore point before using. And also come back to manual updates from time to time. Still, they are needed.