Here’s how to set up your Gmail account in Outlook so you can view and reply to emails without a browser.
Automatic configuration of Gmail account in Outlook
The easiest way to add a Gmail account is by resorting to automatic setup in Outlook. To do this, use our step-by-step instructions.
- Open Outlook, click “File” and then “Add Account”.
- In the window that opens, enter your Gmail address. Click the “Connect” button.
- You will then be prompted to sign in to your Google account by entering your username and password. Then Outlook will try to connect to the Gmail server and get all the necessary settings.
- Click Finish Operation – your Gmail account should be set up.
How to set up an IMAP server
If your Gmail account cannot be configured automatically, Outlook will display an appropriate dialog box with an error. However, you can manually establish a connection.
- First click on “Change Account Settings”.
- Enter the server “imap.gmail.com” and port 993 in the “Incoming mail” field.
- Specify the server “smtp.gmail.com” and port 465 in the “Outgoing mail” field.
- Select the SSL / TLS encryption method in each case.
- Establish a connection.
You may be prompted to sign in to your Google account again. Do this to complete the setup.
How to activate IMAP
For your Gmail account to function seamlessly in Outlook, you must ensure that IMAP has been successfully activated for your Google account.
- To do this, first open your Gmail inbox in your browser as usual. Then click on the gear icon in the upper right corner to go to settings.
- On the new page, go to the Forwarding & POP / IMAP tab and check the Enable IMAP option, which is roughly in the center.
- Finally, confirm your actions by clicking on “Save Changes”.